My nana recently moved into long term care and while my mother, uncle and I were packing up her apartment we came across a valuable treasure – her recipe book.
Decades of recipes that we thought were lost, because we never asked her to write them down and now we have them, lovingly preserved in a spiral bound notebook.
Today I whipped up a batch of my favourite treat from when I was a kid, Nana’s shortbread cookies. These are oh-so-yummy, melt in your mouth goodness. I dare you not to love them.
- ½ cup icing sugar
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup softened butter
- Sift together icing sugar, cornstarch & flour
- Mix in butter until just combined (don’t overmix!)
- Use a spoon to make small balls of dough and arrange on a baking sheet
- Flatten with a wet fork (Nana dipped hers in milk)
- Bake for 20 mins at 350
- If you like, decorate cookies with candied cherries or chocolate sprinkles!