When we bought our house we didn’t have a lot of money for upgrades, so we decided to put our money in the “big stuff” for our kitchen like granite countertops, tile flooring, pot drawers and taller than usual upper cabinets. Essentially we already have half our dream kitchen – I’m really excited to say that we’re finally starting on the other half AND I will be posting all our progress as part of the One Room Challenge hosted by Linda at Calling it Home!
This is what our kitchen looks like now:
To get a better idea of the space, here’s a shot from when we first took possession of the house:
After spending a lot of time on Pinterest and Houzz (drooling over a lot of gorgeous photos) we narrowed it down to a few inspiration photos (shared here) and finally selected our finishes:
For the next six weeks we’ll be working hard on our kitchen and will be posting updates here every Thursday (and sneak peaks on Instagram). I’ll also be linking up to the ORC Guest Participant posts on Linda’s blog.
This is my first time participating in the ORC and I’m very excited (but mostly nervous). I love the idea of having a 6 week schedule to follow, which I’m hoping will push us to get a lot done quickly but I’m not sure we can get everything done in time!
Here’s the list of everything we’re going to try to accomplish:
- Paint the cabinet doors – light uppers and dark lowers
- Raise the cabinets up to the ceiling to get rid of the gap- it just fills up with junk and looks awful
- Add a shelf under the raised cabinets so at least some items will be within reach
- Install a glass subway tile backsplash
- Replace the builder light fixtures
- MAYBE replace the cabinet hardware (gold??)
- MAYBE add a pantry cabinet and box in the fridge
I hope you’ll follow along with us and all the other amazing participants in the challenge – check out all of this weeks link ups on Calling it Home.